Welcome to Deep Dish!
- Want to build the sort of financial freedom that lets you live life on your own terms?
- Have a sneaking suspicion that blindly following the status quo might not always be the best option?
- Love pizza so much that you’d literally eat your own bodyweight, given half a chance? We’re going to get on just fine.
Who am I?
My name is Richard Meadows. I’m a journalist. I like to experiment with my life, and then write about what happened.
One of my best experiments helped me save $100,000 by age 25. Reaching the six figure milestone was the trigger to quit my job, abandon my worldly possessions, and move to Southeast Asia with a 22 litre day pack and a spare pair of undies. I’m also fond of pizza.
I’ve been featured in outlets including CNBC, MSN, Yahoo Finance, Now This and The Daily Mail, and written for VICE, Sunday Magazine, The Spinoff, and various others.
If you want to read a more detailed overview of what I’ve been getting up to, head on over to the ‘About’ page.
AS FEATURED IN:
What is Deep Dish?
I created this blog to document my lifestyle experiments, and help others who are interested in taking a few steps off the beaten path.
Most people follow along through my email newsletter, which means they get the latest posts as soon as they’re published. I try to write high-quality posts, which means you’ll only hear from me once or twice a month (three times if I’m on fire).
When you first sign up, I’ll also give you a collection of free tools and resources, including the custom net worth tracking spreadsheet I used to hit my savings goal.
Want more? Come and join the conversation on the Deep Dish Facebook page, which is where I post my best journalism, as well as various other bits and pieces that don’t make it onto the blog.
Where to start?
Feel free to jump into the archives and work your way through all of the posts in order. If you’d prefer a hand-picked selection, here are some of my most popular articles, organised by topic area.
- How to Save $100,000 by Age 25
- Net Worth Tracking: The Number One Tool For Real Financial Success
- Living On Less Than $10,000 a Year
- The Beginner’s Guide to Becoming a Badass Investor
- How a Billionaire Fund Manager Taught Me to Invest Using the Force
- Futurama Taught Me Everything I Know About Compound Interest
- Getting Rid of All Your Stuff Feels Like Taking a Big, Dreamy Dump
- The Best Things in Life Really Are Free
- Throw Away Your Television
Freelancing and the nomadic life:
- Living The 4 Hour Work Week (How Tim Ferriss Created a Monster)
- The Barbell Strategy: How Not to Be a Starving Artist
- Chiang Mai on the Cheap: Living on Less Than $500 a Month
- Hiking the Himalayas in Flip-Flops
- The Madness Of Crowds
- Life Lessons on the Road
- Ultralight Travel Packing List: 10 Countries, One 7kg Bag
Health and fitness:
- The Pizza Diet: How I Got Bigger, Stronger and Leaner Eating 222 Large Pizzas In a Row
- The Portable Travel Gym that Fits in Your Pocket
- Losing 20kg and Readjusting to Life as a Skinny Guy
Books and reviews:
- Self Authoring Review: Sorting Myself Out With Dr Jordan Peterson
- A Love Letter to Reading (The 100 Books Challenge)
- Quake Books That Shake Your Foundations and Rattle Your Brain
I love hearing from like-minded people, and I reply to every email (it sometimes takes me a little while to clear my inbox, so give me a few days grace).
If there’s anything I can help you with, feel free to get in touch using the Contact form. You can also hit me up on Instagram (mostly travel pics and calisthenics stuff), Twitter (occasional hot takes on current events), or come be my friend on Goodreads (book reviews and recommendations).
I hope you enjoy exploring the site, and I look forward to talking more soon!
All the best,