Welcome to Deep Dish, home of leading investigative pizza journalist Richard Meadows!
- Want to build the sort of financial freedom that lets you live life on your own terms?
- Have a sneaking suspicion that blindly following the status quo might not always be the best option?
- Love pizza so much that you’d literally eat your own bodyweight, given half a chance? We’re going to get on just fine.
During my early years as a business reporter, I stumbled across the less-travelled path to financial success. I was 22 years old, with less than a cent to my name.
Reaching the six figure milestone was the trigger to quit my job, abandon my worldly possessions, and move to Southeast Asia with a 22 litre day pack and a spare pair of undies.
I’ve since been featured in outlets including CNBC, MSN, Yahoo Finance, Now This and The Daily Mail, and contributed pieces to VICE, Sunday Magazine, The Spinoff, and various other publications.
If you want to read a more detailed overview of my journey to date, head on over to the ‘About’ page.
What is Deep Dish?
I created this blog to document my lifestyle experiments, and help others who are interested in taking a few steps off the beaten path.
Most people follow along by joining my email newsletter, which means they get the latest posts in their inboxes as soon as they’re published. I’d love for you to join too. As a welcome gift, I’ll send you a collection of free tools and resources, including the custom net worth tracking spreadsheet I used to hit my savings goal.
You can also come and join the conversation on the Deep Dish Facebook page, which is where I post my best journalism and writing, as well as various other bits and pieces that don’t make it onto the blog.
Where to start?
Feel free to jump into the archives and work your way through all of the posts in order. If you’d prefer a hand-picked selection, here are some of my most popular articles, organised by topic area.
- How to Save $100,000 by Age 25
- Net Worth Tracking: The Number One Tool For Real Financial Success
- Saving Money Fast: 100+ Tips to Slash Your Spending
- The Beginner’s Guide to Becoming a Badass Investor
- How a Billionaire Fund Manager Taught Me to Invest Using the Force
- The Worst Investment Ever: How I Lost $10,000 Catching a Falling Knife
- Getting Rid of All Your Stuff Feels Like Taking a Big, Dreamy Dump
- The Best Things in Life Really Are Free
- Throw Away Your Television
- Living The 4 Hour Work Week (How Tim Ferriss Created a Monster)
- The Barbell Strategy: How Not to Be a Starving Artist
- Chiang Mai on the Cheap: Living on Less Than $500 a Month
- One Year Traveling Asia with a 22 Litre Day Pack
- Hiking the Himalayas in Flip-Flops
Health and fitness:
- The Pizza Diet: How I Got Bigger, Stronger and Leaner Eating 222 Large Pizzas In a Row
- The Portable Travel Gym that Fits in Your Pocket
Books and reviews:
- Self Authoring Review: Sorting Myself Out With Dr Jordan Peterson
- A Love Letter to Reading (The 100 Books Challenge)
I love hearing from like-minded people, and I reply to every email (it sometimes takes me a little while to clear my inbox, so give me a few days grace).
If there’s anything I can help you with, feel free to get in touch using the Contact form. You can also hit me up on Instagram (mostly travel pics and calisthenics stuff), Twitter (occasional hot takes on current events), or come be my friend on Goodreads (book reviews and recommendations).
I hope you enjoy exploring the site, and I look forward to talking more soon!
All the best,